Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Weekend of Mixed Results

Hello World,

Let's first start off by saying I had hoped this weekend to be the smoothest, easiest race weekend due to the fact I could have walked there as well as other benefits.
Because of this, I offered to house some students from other teams.
Timmy M gave us four racers from Brown, whom we had affectionately called "The Brown Nosers" in the days leading to our first meeting. Tyler and I had both hoped we would house Graham, the distinctive Brown racer from New Zealand who could shed some light on mustache-growing pointers.
When they had arrived, I met Joey, the assuming leader of the bunch. He had explained that we were only to house three of them, since Graham had mistakenly caught his hand/arm/neck into his bladed spokes in the Delaware road race the previous weekend. Then, we also learned that he wasn't a kiwi; I am still wondering how that rumor spread...
Along with Graham (whom I still have never met), I had somehow created a weird name or some sort of descriptive backstory for each of these Brownies. When I was given Joe's number, I put it into my cell phone as "Joe Brown", unknowing at the moment of the strange relation to the celebrity television star of anyone who has to apply for those TV converter coupons (still have to buy that thing). After they had settled into our quaint row home, we rode and met up with everyone and their mother on a bicycle, introducing this character as Joe Brown and eventually simply Judge Joe Brown. I think eventually, the other two of our trio called him that, too, once or twice...
Then, we met the other two: Josh and Cici. They both seemed exhausted and very confused as to my nature of organization. They were quite impressed by many things: our extremely tight and dangerous spiral staircase, mass quantities of cereal, milk, eggs, pancake mix, peanut butter, bread, and more eggs. Luckily, they didn't notice the 6 pounds of venison I had stashed in the freezer. Anyway, Josh seemed to have a nack for not keeping the rubber side down. He had some gnarly-looking road rash from the previous week, and his bike wasn't so healthy either. As I was marshaling the Circuit Race, he had ridden past me in frustration, yelling something incoherent with a loud F-word in it. Assuming that couldn't be good, I figured he crashed. Some hours later, I had found out that he later went to the hospital (Temple Hospital, I might add) for road rash. The rash from the crash was fine, but the previous damage had become infected and led to a fun-filled round of debriding. Apparently, he was also stranded there without a ride home and had another patient offer him fare for a cab (which is something I have never ever heard of happening in North Philadelphia. You thought Will Smith had it bad in West...). I was about to insert an instrument used for debriding here, but after paging through google, I will let you do the exploring...
Then there was Cici. I am sure I spelled his name wrong, but I am rolling with it. An apparent new member to the Browns (not of the Clevland variety), Cici was da man. When we went out to eat on Friday, I asked him how his gnocci was. All he could squeeze out of his mouth through his food was "SO BIG!" He was consistent in his eating abilities, also. Coming home from a pasta fiesta Saturday night, I found an empty box of Dunkin' Donuts doughnuts that had originally was home to 6 lively creatures. I asked The Judge about it, and he said CiCi ate them all. Cici's rebuttal claim was that he only had 5 and a half, but who's counting? Anyway, Cici was also a very nice dude who streamed by me in every lap of the Intro Crit with snot hanging all over him. He was truly laying the pain on thick for his field.

In all, the three he had hosted were a great bunch. Though they didn't buy an overpriced sandwich called a cheesesteak (pfft), they did get a warm ripping-off by a local automechanic for the service rendered to their child-rapist-looking van. It looked something like this:

Apparently, one of the wheels almost fell off, totaling a $500 bill.


In other news, there seems to be some other addressing issues:

1. Roy Bahns- After one of the last pairs breaking on my face on Saturday and the very last pair being thrown from my face during the TTT, they will be sadly remembered until I can get some more. In the meantime, you may not see this sight for a few weeks:



2. Eating- Some of us should really need to stop inhaling at the same time. Note pictures of Tyler with spaghetti and Aquaman Wes with a double-decker slice of pizza. Photos courtesy of John Hunter, who has been begging me for access to the blog site:





3. MIT- Sorry about the space discrepancy. We ended up missing a black fluid trainer if you ended up with an extra one. Please let me know.




This puppy sure tailed off suddenly due to other distractions. Until next time...
Jay G.

2 comments:

AndrewCycle said...

You lost the shades?! Bummer.

Graham Anderson said...

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, you caught the essence of the brown team!!! The van is a class act; it has a television and curtains. About the 'the talk': for the record we don't actually take things that seriously, or at least I didn't think we did. Thanks for hosting my insane teammates.